CURRENT POSITIONS AVAILABLE
Waste Wise Program
Senior Sustainability Specialist
Summary: The Minnesota Chamber of Commerce is a statewide advocacy organization representing 2,300 businesses and over 500,000 employees across Minnesota. We advocate on a broad array of business issues that affect businesses’ bottom line. Advocacy includes legislative representation at the state capitol and individual business assistance through our programs. Events and sponsorship programming support our advocacy and membership representation and service.
Waste Wise and Energy Smart are programs of the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce. The programs work in close partnership with the Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation (a 501(c) 3 non-profit affiliate of the Chamber) to promote environmentally sustainable practices to help businesses save money through waste reduction, resource conservation and energy efficiency.
The Waste Wise Program Senior Sustainability Specialist is responsible for coordinating specific Waste Wise contract work including a broad range of activities such as business recruitment, on-site waste consultations, technical assistance, and service follow-up. The position is also responsible for providing targeted program services to members of the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce.
Essential job duties:
- Responsible for ensuring that specific assigned Waste Wise contract monthly and annual goals are achieved
- Engage the Minnesota business community through in person and other direct contact networking
- Schedule site visits for the Waste Wise program through phone calls, e-mails, and on-site door knocking
- Perform on-site consultations to identify and encourage implementation of waste reduction, recycling, and organics diversion opportunities
- Effectively communicate waste reduction, sustainability, energy conservation opportunities
- Conduct ongoing follow-up in order to drive businesses to complete waste reduction and recycling projects
- Maintain accurate records of business participation and promptly update database with program results
- Conduct waste reduction, reuse, and recycling research as needed
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by the Waste Wise Program Manager and the Program Director
- Five+ years of experience in business environmental sustainability consulting and business development; or three years’ experience as Waste Wise Sustainability Specialist; or combination thereof
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a field related to environmental protection, sustainability, science, planning or public/ business administration
- Comprehensive knowledge of waste reduction and business environmental sustainability issues
- Strong inter-personal skills and the ability to create and maintain positive working relationships with employees, owners of small to large businesses, waste hauler representatives and other.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Exceptionally strong data management, research, organization skills
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe desktop publishing software
- Able to multi-task and manage several projects simultaneously
- Able to think outside of the box and create opportunities out of challenges
- Vehicle required for travel, will be reimbursed for mileage
This is a full-time position with benefits and involves travel within Minnesota. The position reports to the Director of Environmental Sustainability at the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce. Email submissions with attachments are preferred. Please send to Brenda Beaudet at email@example.com.